Girdwood, Alaska is a favorite spot among Alaska vacations. A resort community near Anchorage, it offers an excellent launch point for other adventures and could even provide a vacation on its own. Your options include everything from the most intense outdoor adventures to luxury dining. There is something for everyone in this resort town. Here are five reasons to make Girdwood your next stop or the main destination for your next visit:
- Perfect location: Girdwood is one hour from Anchorage and near Kenai Peninsula, which is known for its numerous recreational activities. Stay there and enjoy easy access for day trips to Whittier (adventure glacier tour) or fishing at Kenai Peninsula. When you are ready for urban attractions, take a drive up to Anchorage, or consider staying in town for shopping and dining. You can literally enjoy all the best worlds in Alaska from this quaint resort town.
- Consider the railroad: You do not have to take a road trip. Consider a rail trip instead! Girdwood is also accessible via the Alaska Railroad if you would rather take in the scenery than drive.
- Glacier City: Girdwood has the nickname “Glacier City” for a reason. Whether it is from skis or snowboard, kayak or raft, you have the opportunity to enjoy a closer look at glaciers. Our glacier adventures are centered in Whittier, Mt. Alyeska and Girdwood, so if that is what you wish to see, there are many opportunities to do that from this small resort town.
- Summer options: There is no end to the fun you can have in Girdwood, and it is not limited to the winter. The town hosts fairs and festivals, which draw in large crowds. you can also take a gold panning or flightseeing tour. If you are not much of a water sport type, you can take the wheel of an ATV or Jeep and still experience the wilderness firsthand. For more wildlife, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is just 11 miles from Girdwood, and it offers 140 acres to explore. If you wish to stay nearby, there are plenty of hiking trails and restaurants that feature magnificent views.
- People watching: Girdwood attracts an eclectic bunch. The tight-knit community brings in nature enthusiasts, ski bums, senators and other folks who are simply wanting to experience the outdoors. The Hotel Alyeska is a large draw due to its luxury accommodations, and you never know who you may see hanging around town. If people-watching after a long hike is your gig, Girdwood is ready to offer you plenty of opportunities.
There is something for everyone in Girdwood, whether it is outdoor adventures or experiencing the great indoors with dining and shopping. One thing is for certain: you are unlikely to be bored. So, if you want a great base camp for your Alaska adventures, you cannot go wrong with Girdwood!
For Alaska vacations that include Girdwood and beyond, contact Alaska Wild Guides. Our goal is to give you a unique wildlife experience that will be remembered for a lifetime. Call us today to schedule your tour.